Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Sunday Service: Holy Ascension Russo-Greek Orthodox Church

Seems like the best day to post a church!

This is one that we came across while out exploring about a month ago near Calmar, AB. It was surrounded by trees tall enough that even the domes could not be seen from afar.

If I have learned one thing, it is always look into a row of trees, usually the trees are there for a reason. As I passed by, the church was visible in the break in the trees. Slam on breaks, u-turn, grab camera! We had found Holy Ascension Russo-Greek Orthodox Church.

In 1927, the first church meeting was held, 2 acres of land where donated, a church committee was elected, and building began in the summer. The Temple was sanctified in November 1927. Today, there are 20 families currently in the parish.







I guess I neglected to take a photo of the bell tower, which is off to the side of the front of the church. As is common with Ukrainian Churches, the bell tower is a separate structure. Also as usual, my son rung the bell. There is also a cemetery on the grounds at the back of the church.

References: orthodoxcanada.ca 


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar