Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Middlemarch read a long review

Wow, that was a long slog of a book wasnt it.  It just kept on going.  Action?  There wasnt much I felt.  Again as I have felt with most of the classics that we have read so far, they seem to ramble on for far too long.  I much prefered North and South, which was also a snap shot of life, albeit in 2 different places.

At first Doreathea really bored the heck out of me, in real life, if I had met her she would have naffed me off.  Towards the end she does pick up a bit, but not enough for me to really like her as a character.  5 weeks into her marriage to a man 3 times her age, she realises her mistake.  If she was in the book Divergent she would have been Erudite faction.  Being that she feels superior to all the other females and looks down on them, you would have thought that she would have taken the educated guess that a man of 45, was not going to change much and that his way of working would be quite ingrained.  

Lydgate the new comer, is a doctor with new ideas.  He also makes a bad marriage to a pretty girl, who it would seem he slipped into marrying as he gave her too much attention, being the era it was, he had no real other option as he wanted his fever clinic in the Middlemarch hospital and was in too deep to change that.  I have to wonder if Rosalie from the Twilight books could be a little based on Rosamund in this book.  Lydgate himself dies at the young age of 50 (I will have to check that in awhile). 

Fred Vincy and Mary's marriage seems to be the most rock steady along with Celia (Doreathea's sister) who marries Sir James Chettam, who previously wanted to marry Doreathea.

All in all, everyone else seems to rave about this book and love it.  At 900 pages I wont be reading it again to see if I can change my own mind.  Far too long, too many characters for me.  I feel that I need a police detection board with string all over it to show who is who to keep up.  



Scores on the doors 2/10  very dissapointing.  Clearly I am not educated enough to see what others do.

Next book is Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte.  Happy reading




Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar